5 Facts You Didn’t Know About RVD!
RVD is one of a kind; he has a laid back persona with an unorthodox style of wrestling that makes him one of the most recognizable performers in the business. Although, there are some things that WWE might not want you to know.
- Rob Van Dam was offered to play the role of Glacier. The character of Glacier was played by Ray Lloyd, who was known for his mixed martial arts style in the ring, which is the exact reason RVD was pitched the character first. Paul Heyman gave Rob the advice to not sign with WCW, as Heyman had plans to get Van Dam more of a spotlight by having him decline the offer and show up on Monday Night Raw. At the time, RVD wasn’t aware of ECW’s working relationship with WWF but regardless of all that, he saved himself from having to portray an obvious mortal kombat rip-off. Also, RVD didn’t take part in becoming Glacier, because WCW had further plans to create a whole set of characters that are similar to those in mortal kombat.
- RVD also had a very brief run in WCW. When RVD first signed with the company, he was forced to change his name from Rob Van Dam to Robbie V. And that’s because the Vice President of WCW, Bill Watts didn’t like the name. Nonetheless, he had a very uneventful run competing in rather short matches and not really gaining any momentum. He would later leave the company to pursue a career in the independent scene to gain more skills to later become one of the faces of ECW.
- TNA – Rob Van Dam worked for TNA from 2010 until 2013. RVD won his debut match against Sting and later went on to defeat AJ Styles for the TNA World heavyweight title. He also took part in New Japan’s WrestleKingdom as well as picked up another title victory, in the form of winning the X-Division championship. Van Dam would return to WWE in 2013 to take part in the Money in the Bank ladder match.
- Hates Shawn Michaels – When asked about the Heart Break Kid, Shawn Michaels, Rob said that he had many conflicting feelings and conflicting energy towards Shawn, as Rob claimed he seemed very sarcastic towards him whenever he would give Van Dam compliments. He confirmed that he and Michaels were “not tight” and that he was filled with “insincerity.” Shawn Michaels has said that he respects RVD and thinks he is very talented, but Rob simply thinks he is stuck up and disingenuous.
- Getting Busted – Shortly after winning the WWE championship in June and later being awarded the ECW World Championship, on July 3rd of 2006, RVD was pulled over for speeding, where the officer said “explain to me why it smells like a dope.” RVD was found guilty of possessions of 18 grams of cannabis and was forced to drop both of his world titles as soon as possible. He was also suspended for 30 days without pay and would never win another title with the WWE, even though he would have 6 more title matches for the ECW championship.