Interesting Facts You Didn’t Know About Your Brain!
1. The brains consist of three parts.
- The forebrain, which controls all thoughts, senses, motor functions, emotions, and hunger.
- The midbrain controls auditory and visual reflexes as well as awareness.
- The hindbrain controls the coordination and analysis of senses.
2. Brains have a similar texture to tofu.
3. There are 100,000 miles of blood vessels within the brain. Enough to circle the earth four times.
4. The ancient Egyptians believed the brain’s function was to produce snot.
5. Though the brain only makes up 2% of the body’s weight, it uses 20% of the body’s energy.
6. A person’s brain has 100 billion neurons. These cells are known as the gray matter which process information.
7. Einstein’s brains have been preserved for study. It is split into 240 separate slides for viewing.
8. 89.06 is the percentage of people who report normally writing with their right hand, 10.6% with their left, and 0.34% with either hand.
9. More electrical impulses are generated in one day by a single human brain than by all the telephones in the world.
10. After age 30, the brain shrinks a quarter of a percent (0.25%) in mass each year.
11. Men process information primarily from the left side of the brain.
12. Women tend to use both sides at the same time.
13. The brain can stay alive for 4 to 6 minutes without oxygen. After that cells begin to die.
14. The myth that people use only 10% of their brain is a myth.
15. Humans use 100% of their brains.
16. The composition of the brain = 77-78% water, 10-12% lipids, 8% protein, 1% carbs, 2% soluble organics, 1% inorganic salt.
17. It is currently impossible to measure the possible ‘storage’ potential
of a brain.
18. A professor at Northwestern University suggests that if a human brain was converted into a hard drive like device, it could store 2.5 petabytes of data. That equals more than 500 000 DVD’s or 100 000 Blu Ray discs.